What is NAD+?
Great question! All the important cellular events within the human body cannot and would not take place without the presence of Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide (or NAD). It is an essential ingredient within the body’s metabolic process and the reactions that happen within our cells.
NAD aids in numerous processes of the human body, such as the release of stored energy from carbohydrates, proteins, and fats in the body, the breakdown of fatty acids, DNA repair, inflammatory responses, and much more.
When NAD undergoes either oxidation or reduction, as it typically does when it releases its effects on the human body, it is referred to as NAD+.
Is NAD+ for you?
The short answer is, yes! NAD+ therapy offers many remarkable benefits. From combating chronic fatigue to enhancing athletic performance, this injection provides a wide range of advantages for a diverse group of people. Whether you’re living in the hustle and bustle of Grand Rapids, Michigan or in one of its surrounding cities, the NAD+ treatment can benefit you.
Here is a list of those who can benefit from the NAD+ treatment:
- Those suffering from joint pain.
- Athletes looking to enhance their performance.
- Busy parents and professionals who want to improve their cognitive function or boost their energy levels.
- Anyone interested in weight management.
- Those who are looking to fight aging.
- Anyone needing help in drug or substance addiction recovery.
- People who need to delay or prevent the onset of certain diseases.
FIVE MAJOR BENEFITS OF NAD+
NAD+ produces anti-inflammatory effects during an infectious process. According to several studies, the expression of inflammatory markers diminishes significantly when there are high cellular levels of NAD+ and its precursors reported.
Our body has its own process of protecting its Cellular DNA from damage, known as DNA-Damage Response (or DDR). DDR is highly dependent on NAD+. When our NAD+ levels drop, the chances of Cellular DNA damage go up. Meaning, NAD+ helps protect and repair the DNA in our bodies.
The presence of NAD+ is required in each of our bodies’ energy metabolic pathways for them to function properly. These pathways often result in the release of energy. Low NAD+ levels in the body could negatively impact these pathways thus impairing the effectiveness by which energy is generated and utilized by our body. While higher levels of NAD+ can help boost your energy and keep you running for longer.
Numerous studies have proven that normal levels of NAD+ are essential in maintaining the metabolic activity of the heart. It’s also been shown that steady levels of NAD+ can help in the recovery from a major cardiac event or injury.
Normal levels of NAD+ can have a protective effect on the neurons in our brains after a stroke or other significant neurological event. NAD+ supplements have also shown some benefits in treating and/or preventing some diseases such as Alzheimer’s. Though this data is not definite, the studies are still ongoing.
We’ve already been through several reasons why NAD+ is crucial to many of your body’s major processes and functions. You may be thinking, ‘Wait! There’s more?” And the answer would be, yes—there’s much more.
For starters, did you know that a deficiency in NAD+, such as in pellagra, can cause dermatitis, dementia, or diarrhea? It’s essential that the body gets and maintains normal levels of NAD+, for your overall health and energy.
FIVE REASONS TO CONSIDER NAD+ TREATMENT
NAD+ exerts protective and stimulatory effects on the brain. IV NAD+ therapy could aid in restoring or improving your memory, improving concentration and ability to focus, enhancing brain regeneration, and improving your overall neurological health.
For many of the reasons stated above (energy boosts, improved cognition, and pain management) NAD+ treatment has been used by many athletes to help with their performance capabilities. Studies have also shown that NAD+ supplementation may help with muscle development and muscle repair.
NAD+ has been shown to exert anti-inflammatory actions within the body that may be used to reduce inflammation that often occurs with pain. In other words, NAD+ could potentially offer you some relief from your joint or body pain.
If you are constantly exhausted and drained, then NAD+ treatment could help. NAD+ is essential in the body’s metabolic pathway that leads to Adenosine Triphosphate production (or ATP), which is the energy source of the human body. NAD+ can help increase ATP levels, thus boosting energy levels and reducing feelings of fatigue.
Patients weaning off opioid, alcohol, chemical, or prescription drug dependencies may benefit from IV NAD+. This treatment could potentially help lower the severity of withdrawal symptoms, flush drugs out of the body, and reduce cravings.
How the Treatment Works
NAD+ is given as an infusion, injecting the supplement directly into the bloodstream for the ultimate experience. Patients can relax in a comfortable chair, reading or working on a laptop, for a period of 1-2 hours while the treatment is being administered.
Every patient will be under the utmost care of an experienced and highly qualified RN. The health, care, and comfort of each of our patients is our number one priority. Sit back and relax in our modern, spa-inspired rooms and you will be reaping to rewards of NAD+ therapy before you know it.
How should I prepare for my NAD+ IV therapy visit?
- Drink plenty of water before your treatment. This will help ensure ease of access to your veins.
- Have a light meal at least 1-2 hours before your treatment. If this is not possible, we do offer refreshments and bottled water.
What should I expect during my NAD+ IV therapy?
- During the actual infusion, it is not uncommon to experience some side effects including nausea, chest heaviness, headache, general malaise, and/or indigestion. These side effects are completely normal, and somewhat expected. This is the reason why NAD+ IV drips take longer to infuse than the standard “cocktails”. The side effects typically subside by slowing down the drip and/or stopping the drip completely for about 10-20 seconds, and then restarting at a slower pace.
- At the conclusion of your NAD+ IV therapy drip, these side effects should completely subside.
How long does the actual infusion take?
This depends greatly on what you are looking to achieve from NAD+ therapy:
- If you are an otherwise healthy individual and are looking to address fatigue, recovery from strenuous exercise, and/or anxiety, expect your NAD+ infusion to take around 1-2 hours. The slower the infusion rate, the better the absorption, and the lesser chance of experiencing the potential side effects during the infusion itself.
- If you are seeking NAD+ IV therapy as a treatment modality for substance addiction, expect your infusion to take around 2+ hours. Again, the slower the drip, the better the absorption you receive. This is particularly important for optimizing results – see our more in-depth information below, under our Addiction Protocol.
How to make the most out of your NAD IV therapy
Anecdotal evidence is HIGHLY suggestive that certain vitamins/nutrients have a synergistic effect when paired with NAD+, meaning they work better at achieving the desired results than when given alone. These nutrients include:
✔ B-Complex (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6)
✔ Vitamin B12
✔ Antioxidants such as Vitamin C and Glutathione
✔ Amino Acids
For this reason, we have a formulated Vivid’s own Vit-A-Mino cocktail – a post-NAD+ therapy vitamin cocktail consisting of each of these ingredients that can be infused in a 500mL Normal Saline bag at the conclusion of your NAD+ drip. Like NAD+ absorption, it is highly recommended these vitamins/nutrients be infused slowly, over a course of at least 25-30 minutes, to ensure the most efficient absorption and thus maximizing the synergistic effects.